I took a chance on a remnant lot of silks because I need a wide assortment of silks for the upcoming Pin Cushion Sampler Workshop at GCV’s Domestic Skills Symposium. I was also hoping to get a few winter bonnets out of the bunch. I knew the lot had a few unusable dupoini fabrics. The taffetas were too tempting.
I am quite happy with the results.
When I picked the box up from the steps, I was surprised how heavy it was. There was much more silk than I was envisioning. The merchant wrapped the silks up in a very pretty paper, with a ribbon and thank you note. That is always nice.
Here are the silks I have in mind for the workshop. The bold and bright stripes will work nicely for a couple of the pincushion designs. These cushions call for lots of cutting lots of little pieces. That very top, little one will be nice for one of the other cushions. I’m hoping I can get three pieces out of it. (hmm, not as vivid a photo as I would like.)
This is one I thought was a taffeta, envisioning it as a winter bonnet. It is some where between a habotai and a chiffon, being incredibly soft, yet not having a crinkly drape and not being sheer. It is tempting to make into a piece of clothing since it is so soft. It sorta scream night dress. But, it would also look Stunning as the inside lining of a black taffeta or black velvet hood. (Oh, I think I just realized which one.)
This is a simple plaid taffeta that I eyed for a winter bonnet. I’ve been wanting to do a plaid. I’ve also been wanting to do a bonnet in green or red. This brings all three together. Fingers crossed on the amount of fabric. I think it will be close. I’m hoping there will be enough to trim it too.
Hmm, I forgot to take a photo of the white and green medium check. That will be a bonnet too.
These two pieces are rather nifty silk broadcloths. I really want to see if I can make a winter bonnet out of the cut. The sets of stripes are rather wide. We shall see. If they won’t work for bonnets, they will make nice bias trim or great work pockets.
This is a shantung that I am hesitant about. It is an excellent example of a fabric with occasional slubs on a thinner, finer weave. I’m also not as fond of the subdued colors. That might be more of it. It may be routed towards lining.
This is along the lines of the pink stripe above. I pictured one weave/weight, while it is another. This silk alternates organza stripes and taffeta stripes, with round cords in between. I don’t know what to name it. Corded silks include faille, bengaline and epingle. But… those are each in plain weaves. I don’t know if a combination of two plain weaves counts. It really reads “curtain fabric” to me. It has incredible body. I’m sure if there was a good length of it, someone could make a fun dress from it. There may be just enough to make quite the princess dress for a little girl.
And then…. there is this lovely. It is so pretty. The ground is blue even though it doesn’t read as blue on some computers (like mine.) Part of me wants some for pin cushions. Part of me wants some for an awesome work bag. Part of me wants there to be enough for some yet unknown dress. (that would likely need all new under clothes an a place to wear it.)
(okay, I was going to schedule this for the morning post… but… I want to share the pretties.)