A Week of Sewing Cases 2

The second large box of the week didn’t start out as a sewing box. As I worked on sorting and labeling my tools, I decided rather than show all the bodkins together, scissors together, etc., it would be far more interesting to show the antique tools together and the reproduction tools together, side by side. So, a second box was needed. The first box I thought of, that I picked up to be made into a sewing box, is currently storing the doll tea sets with an oh-so-perfect fit.

This box was hiding under the sewing room dresser, forgotten about. It was a $1 garage sale rescue. I have a soft spot for pieces that have obviously had many lives and various remakes. This box was very much that with the replaced lock, as well as assorted nails and nail holes. (I forgot to take a before photo with the various adaptations.) Whether this box will remain a sewing box after the demonstration, we shall see. I don’t know if it is happy with its new designation. Actually, I’m not sure if it is happy with its odd, may be too modern paint. But, I’m afraid the box will fall apart if I take the paint off.

Anyway. Let’s start with the tray since the whole thing started with the need for a second tray. I did a fabric tray (and lining) this time around. Each piece of pasteboard, double on the bottoms and sides, was covered with fabric and stitched together. Okay, so the outer parts were done 3 times. Precise measurements, when adding reproduction cotton quilt prints, becomes too tight to fit. (also frustration and many more hours of work than planned.)

2016-04-01-21.32.53.jpg.jpeg

The lining of the box is actually pasteboard covered panels slid into place. I opted for this method because it meant the least amount of alteration to the box itself. The panels can pop back out as needed. It seems I did not take a photo of just the lining. So, here is a photo of the pasteboard that warped on the top and not yet laying flat.

2016-04-02-11.13.50.jpg.jpeg

With the tray inserted, it looks like a snazzy sewing box. With the latch on the lock face, it will hold closed pretty well too. (the lock itself does not work, just the latch.

2016-04-01-21.43.16.jpg.jpeg

Here it is with the reproduction tools. Each of those green tags tells where it was from or who made it. 2016-04-02-11.07.57.jpg.jpeg

The project meets feline approval.

2016-04-02-11.11.04.jpg.jpeg

Advertisements
Published in: on April 5, 2016 at 4:00 pm  Comments (4)  

4 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Very pretty. Love the fabric.

  2. I have a small bit of the faric left. I think it will become a box. I also have it in blue.

  3. That’s just lovely, isn’t it? I’m quite keen on the repro tools; what a grand way to show how we really CAN outfit ourselves in find 19th century style!

  4. I suspect there will be additional larger sewing boxes meant to be filled with reproduction tools in the future….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: