Announcing my new pattern!
Pre-orders are now being taken through November 25th. Pre-ordered patterns will be shipped on December 1st or 3rd. As this initial printing will entirely depend on the number of pre-orders, be sure to order early. Please visit my Etsy Store to place your order.
Whether for a ball or a summer day, a fichu is a lovely accessory. From light and airy to soft with hints of color, fashionable fichus were worn with day wear as well as evening and dinner wear. This pattern will guide you in making a fashionable fichu extending the versatility of your Civil War era or antebellum, 1850s wardrobe. With the four popular shapes of the era included in this pattern along with the many variations of embellishment described in the pattern directions booklet, you can make an almost endless variety of era accurate fichus.
Each pattern includes:
A single sheet pattern with four fichu styles
A directions booklet with observations of fichus, directions and fashion descriptions.
Since several people are looking to make a fichu as a gift, I thought it would be nice to get them started with some fabrics while we wait for the pattern to ship.
- Dharma’s silk organza is a sheer with a fairly stiff hand. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/organza.html
- Dharma’s silk gauze comes in different weights. Their 3mm is amazing for veils. It will also work nicely for a soft puffing. You may be able to add some stiffness with sizing or heavy starching. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/gauze.html
- Dharma’s cotton voile is something I particularly like. They also have a silk cotton voile. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/gauze.html
- Dharma’s combed cotton lawn makes a nice, soft fichu. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/845208-AA.shtml
- I have yet to use Thai Silks’ organza’s. They could work nicely. http://www.thaisilks.com/index.php?cPath=1_11
- I am particularly fond of Pure Silk’s cotton voile. When you order, keep in mind this fabric will shrink significantly. http://stores.ebay.com/Pure-Silk-Fabrics/100-Cotton-Voile-/_i.html?_fsub=1062347010&_sid=891994000&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 I’ve also heard nice things about their silk organza but have not tried it yet.
- Looking at the bargain sites, there are a few maybes. Of course these depend on how accurate the descriptions are.